In and around the Arboretum: Things to See & Do
Tervuren deserves a stop-off for many reasons:
· The Centre: the “Markt” (main square), the church, and the surrounding areas have so much charm. There are lovely terraces (actually not enough!) which appear on the first few sunny days.
· The Park and ponds of Tervuren/Vossem... with the Palace of the Colonies, The Royal Museum of Central Africa, and the "Tervurenlaan": together they create a majestic landscape dating back to the reign of King Leopold II.
· The Royal Museum of Central Africa commands an international reputation. A number of selective activities are on offer. It is a living place, which has evolved gradually over time. Not to be missed!
Jezus-Eik or Notre-Dame-au-Bois (Overijse commune):
· Restaurants and terraces a-plenty... often overrun with the strollers of the Sonian Forest or the Arboretum!
· The Sonian Forest which borders the western side of the Arboretum deserves its own separate website: http://www.foret-de-soignes.be .
A site in Flemish on Jezus-Eik: http://www.jezus-eik.be
Duisburg ( Tervuren commune)
· Especially for the cyclists! To the east of the Arboretum, the woods of Tervuren emerge into the countryside of Duisburg, a small village offering numerous walks. You are now in the “Druivenstreek" - the grape country. The number of greenhouses lends the village its very characteristic nature.
Introduction - Location & Access - Guided Tour (The New World) - The Old World
Pictures Gallery - Printable Map - Useful Links - Contacts - Guestbook - News